My goal for this blog is to post a sketch per day. I will try for twice a week at the very least. This will also be my personal blog, where I shall post things like travel diaries and other things that need posting. Enjoy.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Queen And Her Guards

Clearly unfinished. Maybe I will work on it and post a better version one of these days! It's in progress, so critique is welcome!
Added bonus! They had buddha boards at the Natural History Museum too. This time I was surrounded by school girls as I was working, who were very impressed! Again, it looked cooler in person.

Another big day today! I started out at a café called Teaism in Foggy Bottom, which I found in the guidebook. I decided to go there for breakfast because I wanted to get out on the town a bit earlier than the museums open at 10. Teaism turned out a bit more high-scale than I was thinking- I felt slightly out of place among suited office workers meeting for breakfast. It wasn't too crowded, though, and I had apricot muesli with yogurt and strawberries along with a pot of green tea. An absolutely wonderful start to the day, and I was able to begin today's sketch, posted above. Both the apricots and strawberries were a surprise, especially as the price was quite reasonable.

I realized upon leaving the café that I was very near the Renwick Gallery, and it seemed a shame not to stop in. This is primarily a museum of American Craft, and a site of one of the inaugural balls. There were several paintings by one Romaine Brooks which I liked quite a bit, and I've recorded his name for future reference. Also, this cool sculpture.
From there I walked past the White House, something that must be done when one is in the Nation's Capitol, and back around the the Corcoran Gallery of Art. This is actually a privately supported gallery, not part of the Smithsonian. I was in Smithsonian mode, and walked completely oblivious past the place I was supposed to pay, thinking it was just an information booth. At the top floor someone asked to see my ticket, which I didn't know I was supposed to have. I left fairly quickly after that!

Next I went to the Natural History Museum- you know, the one with all the stuffed animals and bones. Seriously losing energy at this point. Saw some cool stuff, including the adorable sea otter pictured below (is it sad that I found the stuffed animals and bones extremely cute?) They do have some live things in the insect zoo- the diving beetles were amazing!
After eating lunch in the cafeteria, I decided to save the National Archives for another day and catch the metro to Capitol Hill. There I went to the Library of Congress- Gutenberg Bible, old books, Jefferson's Library, and a truly fascinating display of letters from Afghanistan. I didn't sleep entirely well last night and this was about 2 in the afternoon, I'd already walked a lot that day, and I was exhausted. Like seriously, desperately, in need of caffeine. I suppose a nap would have helped too- but that wasn't such an easy option! A nice lady at the Library of Congress gift shop directed me to a cafe called Firehook, which was very homey. I got another café mocha, about twice as large as the one I had yesterday (at this rate I'll need a bucket of it tomorrow) and relaxed for almost an hour in a comfy chair. I worked more on the queen sketch. An older black gentleman who looked rather distinguished told me it was a "good illustration" as he was heading out. It was cool that he specified illustration, as that is my goal with art!

Onward to the Folger Shakespeare Library, where there was cool exhibition on extra-illustration, which was very interesting... I have made a note to research it further. It was 4pm when I left, and walked about 5 blocks to Union Station to catch the redline to Catholic University and the National Shrine of the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, where I went to the bookstore and attended the 5:15 mass in the Crypt Church, which is something I wanted to do. This was nice, although I feel pretty lonely trying to be a Catholic right now.

Then back on the metro, a switch to the orange line, and a long ride back home. Andrea, my mother's roommate from art school, is out late teaching a photography class tonight. Her husband, Joe, had made some amazing beef stew which he reheated for me. We've been watching TV together for the past couple hours- the Daily Show and Colbert Report, and now that new Genealogy show. It's very comfortable staying here, and I am very lucky to have such wonderful friends in such an amazing city!

I am sorry about the length of this post; know that I'm writing this all down for my own records as much as your amusement! It is probably too early to say anything, but so far I am exceptionally proud of my navigational skills. Granted I check my maps very often (the DC Eyewitness Travel Guidebook has been an absolute lifesaver), and also this is a city designed to make sense (as opposed to Detroit or something), but I have yet to be really lost at any point. For someone as directionally challenged as me, that is saying something! Although now I shall probably mess up royally tomorrow. :-p

Speaking of tomorrow, I need to decide what I'm doing, and then go to bed. I am absolutely worn out.

4 comments:

  1. Comments work now! I had to find a tutorial to fix some corrupted html. Probably because I changed the template so much in the beginning...
    Next project: Make the space between posts larger! And eventually, find a template I actually like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...sounds like you had a blast! I'm jealous :). I love the Buddha Board sketches...they look like you had fun with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Queen is really good.Maybe the guards can just be undone & menacing?
    Why FALsketch?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why Falsketch?

    Mostly because it sounds cool and vaguely norse, but if you read the description under the title there's a justification.

    The Buddha boards are lots of fun- but they dry so quickly! I think I'd be frustrated pretty quick if I actually owned one. :-p

    ReplyDelete